As the saying goes, if something is broke don’t fix it – but you can improve upon it! A popular alternative to braces, Invisalign straightens teeth by guiding them to their natural position. Clear plastic trays, switched out every few weeks, replace the visible metal wires and discomfort of traditional braces.
What Is Invisalign?
Patients receive a set of custom, removable alignment trays made of clear plastic. It’s recommended the aligner be worn for 20 to 22 hours each day. Unlike traditional braces, you can take out the tray whenever you eat and brush your teeth. After about two weeks, you will be given a new tray better suited to your teeth’s current positioning. We’ll monitor your progress every four to six weeks. Treatments last anywhere from nine to 15 months.
How Braces and Invisalign Work
Both braces and Invisalign operate under the same principle: Gentle yet consistent pressure helps a set of teeth properly align over time. With braces, a dentist attaches and adjusts all brackets and wires as the teeth start to straighten. In turn, the patient has to temporarily change eating and oral hygiene habits, avoiding certain foods and brushing a specific way to dislodge particles and prevent tooth decay.
As a next-level solution, Invisalign improves on the intention of braces in a less-conspicuous way that’s also better for dental hygiene. If you’re a good candidate for Invisalign, one of our dentists starts by taking a 3-D digital model of your teeth and uses this image to show you how your teeth could look after treatment. This information is used to create a set of custom aligners made of clear plastic. You’ll have one tray for your top teeth and another for the bottom set.
The customized solution goes through multiple stages, with a tray designed for each one. Once your teeth reach a certain point with a particular tray, you’ll switch and continue on to the next phase.
Why Choose Invisalign?
In today’s modern world, Invisalign has the upper hand in many regards:
- No “Metal Mouth”: The clear plastic trays are practically invisible when you open your mouth.
- Comfort: Metal brackets have been known to poke and irritate the surrounding gums. Invisalign’s trays eliminate all harsh edges and are easily removed.
- More Control: If you’re uncomfortable, you can always remove your Invisalign trays. Your mouth gets some relief whenever you eat, floss and brush.
- Double as Nightguards: This is key if you suffer from grinding or clenching.
- Maintain Oral Hygiene: You don’t have to learn new brushing methods with Invisalign. Simply remove and brush to combat potential tooth decay and gum disease.
- Cost: Since its introduction, Invisalign has become more affordable. Compared to braces, fewer upgrades are needed and emergency visits are less likely.
Our friendly staff will help you understand your dental plan, what’s covered and any out-of-pocket costs. Some policies only cover braces, some cover Invisalign too and others do not cover any orthodontic treatments. We’ll review both treatment options to give you a better idea of all costs.
Having issues with your braces or Invisalign trays? We see emergencies same day!
Interested in trying Invisalign? Contact us today at 203-712-7726 to schedule an appointment.